Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Open Letter re Tibet

I sent the below letter to the Prime Minister. I do not claim to be an expert on the region, or on what the state of Tibetan human rights during the reign of the monastic government, but I think what is happening now is truly abhorrent. Why do we ignore Tibet? Darfur? Congo? Guantanamo? Canada should be a country standing up for human rights.

---

Dear Prime Minister Harper,

I am writing today to express my concern for the people of Tibet. For many years I have wondered why the developed countries of the world, like Canada, have ignored the plight of that country, suffering under occupation by China. Recently, it is becoming increasingly clear that the occupation of Tibet by China is unjust and against the ideas of freedom and human rights that the people of Canada support and the privileges we enjoy. Why does Canada do nothing to support Tibetan human rights? If another country had invaded Canada, I’m sure we would want someone to come to our aid. Imagine losing our free press, our rights to assembly and free speech, and having yourself, the legitimate head of government, exiled to a neighbouring country. Of course, it’s unthinkable. The situation in Tibet is, to me, equally appalling. I understand that perhaps it is too late for a "free Tibet", but we must advocate for the fair treatment of Tibetans.

I’m appalled to see the treatment of the Tibetan people as they make peaceful protests against their oppressors. That the Chinese government blames His Holiness the Dalai Lama is just absurd and insulting. No one inspires more people to lead a peaceful path than him.

Please support the Dalai Lama’s call for a United Nations-lead investigation into Chinese human rights abuses in Tibet.

In addition, I call on you and all political leaders and other prominent Canadians to decline to attend the Beijing Olympic Games in protest. It is not right to celebrate the Olympic spirit in a country that is clearly not making sufficient progress towards supporting the ideals put forth by the Olympic organization.


Sincerely,

Christopher Collins

No comments: